Our student programs are engaging arts experiences with solid educational content.
Here are some examples:
- Students explore the difference between planet rotation and revolution by dancing like planets through the solar system.
- Students practice geometry and engineering by building geodesic domes.
- Students learn about cultural events and history by hearing songs from a specific time or place.
- Students learn to interpret character and plot by acting out a story.
Our programs take place:
- In the classroom
- At museums, theaters, and historic sites throughout Greater Hartford
Because Hartford Performs programs take place during the school day, we ensure that they meet rigorous academic requirements. All programs meets both Common Core State Standards and National Core Arts Standards, and have thoroughly vetted by Hartford Public School teachers as well as Hartford Performs staff. Teachers select programs based on what they are teaching in the classroom as a way of getting students to approach the subject matter in a new way.
Programs range from a one-time visit lasting 45 minutes to five one-hour sessions over the course of a week or more.
All Hartford Public School students in the schools we serve receive at least 2 programs each year. Many receive 4 or more.
During the 2022-23 school year, Hartford Performs is offering more than 300 programs to over 10,000 students in all 30 of Hartford’s PreK-Grade 8 neighborhood and magnet schools.